Looking Back — And AheadPosted: January 3, 2008
2007. I’m done with you.
Don’t get me wrong, the year had it’s moments — the most incredible being the birth of our daughter, Erin Margaret, who was born June 10th and truly proved to be an angel in a time of need.
Daddy’s little girl. My ‘little bit.’ Aidan’s little sister. Renee’s daughter. Whatever she is, she is. And what she is is beyond special. You’ll know it to the first time she smiles at you.
And she brought smiles with her during an incredible time. The day after she was born, my brother Tim collapsed. He died five days later.
Birth. Death. Within a week. That’s more emotion than, quite frankly, I can handle. And, I’m honestly not quite sure how I handled it this year. That’s why I’m done with you, 2007. That and then a few months later, the death of my grandmother, just a few weeks shy of her 101st birthday. Quite a run she had. Quite a woman she was. But with her goes a link — for she was my last living grandparent.
Goodbye, 2007. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Without Erin, I would have completely hated you.
Hello, 2008. What are you going to bring us this year? *fingers crossed*
Well, here are five things I’m bringing to you, 2008.
1. I will continue to work on Forty by Forty. A long way to go, but I am making progress. It might not sound like a big deal, but since November 1st, I’ve only had doughnuts on two occasions and McDonald’s on one.
2. I will continue to work at learning how to eat better and, most importantly, I will excercise more.
3. I will keep working to be the best parent I can be. It’s not always easy. There can be amazingly frustrating experiences. But when Erin smiles or Aidan says, “Dad, can you play with me?” Then you know it’s going to be a good day.
4. I will start the college plans for the kids. They each have money. They each have an account. We are saving, but it’s time to start the actual 529 plans.
5. I will be the best blogger I can be. I know, it sounds like a cop out just to get to number five, but it’s true. I will work to be here more because, well, apparently you like it that way.
Ready or not, 2008, here I come.
What else? I got nothin’.